U-Visa and VAWA

Information regarding U Visa’s and VAWA were found on the Immigrant Legal Resource Center 

U Visa: Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes

Immigrant victims of certain crimes who have been helpful in a criminal investigation or prosecution may qualify for a visa that can lead to a green card. The ILRC’s practice manual entitled The U Visa: Obtaining Status for Immigrant Victims of Crime is a comprehensive explanation of the law and application process that also includes sample materials and practice tips.

VAWA: Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes

VAWA allows an abused spouse or child of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident or an abused parent of a U.S. Citizen to self-petition for lawful status in the United States, receive employment authorization, and access public benefits. VAWA provides domestic violence survivors with the means that are essential to escaping violence and establishing safe, independent lives. ILRC has co-authored The VAWA Manual, a step-by-step guide to assist advocates working on VAWA cases.

For Local Resources and Support Contact Monarch Services:

Monarch Services is committed to empowering individuals, families and our communities to take action against violence and abuse and is dedicated to serving everyone in our community, with a special commitment to women, youth, children, Latinas and other under served groups.

Monarch’s locations:

  • 233 East Lake Avenue Watsonville, CA 95076 contact at (831) 722-4532
  • 1509 Seabright Avenue Santa Cruz, CA 95062 contact at (831) 425-4030